Naming a dog may seem like a simple task, however, knowing that the name we choose will accompany him throughout his life, we may decide to look for more options to inspire us. Precisely for this reason at Groomers Bundle, we have prepared a list with names for original and beautiful dogs, a compilation where you can find options of various themes and classes.
Discover below several lists with names for male and female dogs, all original, beautiful and meaningful. You will find more than 250 varied ideas that can fit with your dog, whatever their breed, age or temperament, read on to find it!
The origin of the domestic dog (Canis lupus familiaris) is closely linked to that of the human being since it is estimated that he has lived with us for more than 10,000 years. As a result, there are currently more than 300 dog breeds around the world, each with unique physical and behavioral characteristics.
Even so, to differentiate it from the other dogs, every owner looks for a unique and exclusive name for his best friend. But how to choose it? Once assimilated, it is advised not to change the name or search for diminutives, so we offer you some tips to choose one of our names for original and beautiful dogs:
- Look at the attributes of your dog, temperamental and physical.
- Bet on short names, between one and two syllables.
- Avoid complex names or difficult pronunciation.
- Make sure they don’t resemble orders or other common words.
- Do not vary the pronunciation during your learning.
- Bet on names with the vowels “a”, “e” and “i”, are more friendly.
Famous Dog Names
- Pongo and Perdita, Dalmatian protagonists of the movie “101 Dalmatians”.
- Hachiko, the Akita Inu considered “the most faithful dog in the world”.
- Beethoven, Saint Bernard’s protagonist of the movie “Beethoven, one of the family”.
- Lady and Gulf, from the Disney movie “The Lady and the Tramp.”
- Scooby-Doo, from the famous children’s series.
- Rex, the German shepherd who starred in “Kommisair Rex”.
- Santa s Little Helper, the Simpson greyhound.
- Laika, the Russian dog who traveled to space.
- Pluto, Disney’s most famous dog.
- Odie, Garfield’s friend.
- Bruno, a good-natured hound friend of Cinderella, Disney.
- Snoopy, from the Charlies Brown series.
- Lassie, the dog of breed rough collie protagonist in “Lassie”.
- Milú, the little white fox terrier of the Tintin series of drawings.
- Fog, Heidi’s huge dog.
- Goofy, from Disney
- Brian, from a family man.
- Idefix, the little dog of Astérix and Obélix.
- Marley, a leading labrador dog in the movie “A couple of three.”
- Pancho, the millionaire dog, a little Jack Russell terrier.
- Seymour, Fray’s dog, in Futurama.
Original Names By Characteristics
Although the dogs of breed resemble each other, it is always possible to find a distinction that makes them unique, therefore, look carefully at the color, personality or any other detail of your dog. We help you get it, keep reading:
Some dogs stand out for their proud and delicate temperament, typical of royalty. You can be inspired by names of ancient kings, such as Arthur, Leonidas, George or Alexander, or in the noble titles themselves, such as Kaiser, Tzar, Duke or Princess. In this sense, our list of names for dogs in French could also fit like a glove.
On the opposite side, we find dogs that stand out for being active and crazy. For them, we can choose names like Katrina, Wilma or Igor, used to designate large and devastating tornadoes.
We can also look at the mythological names for dogs, for example in those of Norse or Viking mythology. The Valkyries, for example, were female divinities that took the great warriors to Valhalla (heaven or paradise), while Odin and Thor were the most feared gods.
While it is rare, some dogs have a blanket full of dreadlocks, as is the case with the komondor. Others have a very “relaxed” attitude. They can perfectly fit the names related to reggae, such as Marley, Matisyahu, Morodo, Ziggy, Sizzla … And even Hachi or Fuma!
Returning to mythology and history, we can offer a heroic and brave name to our dog, like Achilles, Troy, and Atreus. In this sense, there are many other names of dogs that mean strength.
Japanese terms are also extremely popular, so Goku, Akira, Sayuri, Chiyo, Hiroki, Kayoko, Mitsuki or Sakura maybe some options. These names are perfect for any manga lover or for those dogs that resemble Akita Inu or Shiba Inu, for example. You will find more ideas in our list of names for dogs in Japanese.
For those talkative dogs or singers, we can offer them the name of one of the most famous artists, such as Sinatra, Madonna, Elvis or Amy. We could not stop including geek names, among which we highlight some of the famous Star Wars saga, such as Darth-Vader, Obi-Wan or R2.
Original Names for Male Dogs
Perhaps in the previous sections, you have not found the perfect name, and finding the ideal name for your dog is not a simple task. It is not essential that you copy the name of other famous pets or their relationships with their physical characteristics, so we provide you with a list of original names for male dogs:
Original Names for Female Dogs
As we said you can orient yourself to give your dog a name based on its characteristics although you can also think of an original name for female dogs and offer a unique and different name, here are some ideas:
Names for Unisex Dogs
And if you still don’t know what your dog’s sex is going to be, you can also choose a name that works for both of you:
- The verne
Names with Meaning
Finally, we can look for a name that has a very specific meaning. For example, Reima, Etzel or Ale are names that mean loyalty. Other names like Vito, Akela or Ayo are names that mean joy. Searching for names in other languages, especially if they are familiar to you, can be a great option.
Other ideas you may like are:
- Names that mean love: Adir, Love, Mila, and Neha.
- Names that mean bravery: Leo, Caesar, Lois and Vicky.
- Names that mean friendship: Edna, Cara, Itai, and Ames.
- Names that mean fun: Glee, Zenda, Abba, and Otto.
- Names that mean wisdom: Buddha, Hue, Zarif, and Bina.
You haven’t found a name for your dog?
Don’t worry, in Groomers Bundle we will publish other lists with very varied ideas and suggestions!
Trackbacks and pingbacks
No trackback or pingback available for this article.